WYSIWYG Web Builder
Kay Hottendorff at the wheel of Michel Dovaz' unrestored 1937 Cord 812 SC Custom Berline
WYSIWYG Web Builder
Schlumpf-Museum-1997-1914-Bugatti-T17-And-Exhibition-Hall Schlumpf-Museum-1997-1933-Bugatti-T41-Park-Ward
Schlumpf-Museum-1997-1930-Bugatti-T41-Coupe-Napoleon Schlumpf-Museum-1997-1904-Dufaux-And-Exhibition-Hall
Schlumpf-Museum-1997-Exhibition-Hall Schlumpf-Museum-1997-Maserati-250F_And-Exhibition-Hall
Malmerspach-Reserve-1919-Laurin-Klement-Fire-Truck-1
Malmerspach-Reserve-1923-Delage-CO2-Fire-Truck-1
Malmerspach-Reserve-1923-Ford-Model-T-Tudor-Sedan-2
Malmerspach-Reserve-1930-33-Steyr-30-Typ-45-Taxameter-2
Malmerspach-Reserve-1937-Cord-812-Westchester-Sedan-1
Schlumpf-Reserve-Mulhouse-14-Bugattis
Schlumpf-Reserve-Mulhouse-Bugatti-Alfa-Romeo-Maserati
Malmerspach-Reserve-1937-Cord-812-Supercharger-Beverly-Sedan-1
Malmerspach-Reserve-1937-Bugatti-Type-57-Stelvio
Malmerspach-Reserve-1939-41-Fiat-2800-2
Malmerspach-Reserve-1948-Delage-D6-1
For more photos out of the Mulhouse reserve please take a look at the complete 2004 article in German car magazine Autobild (German language text) or see my own photos at the Bremen Motor Classics 2012

The Malmerspach reserve
The second Schlumpf reserve was stored in the Alsatien villages of Malmerspach since the 1960s. Later the so called Malmerspach collection was relocated to neighbouring villages Illzach and Ensisheim. These 62 cars, among them 15 Bugattis, never belonged to the Mulhouse museum and thus were not protected. Nevertheless they had been seized by the courts to cover possible bills receiveable from the Schlumpf bancruptcy back in the 1970s. The lawsuit Fritz Schlumpf filed against the French state lasted about two decades. Finally in 1999 the battle ended and Fritz's widow Arlette Schlumpf received the Malmerspach collection as a compensation. Arlette had the collection relocated once more to the French village of Wettolsheim. When she became fatally ill, Arlette arranged for the sale of the Malmerspach collection. After her death in May 2008 the collection was picked up by classic car dealers Jaap Braam Ruben (NL) and Bruno Vendiesse (F). Approximately 25 to 30 of the cars have been sold to Peter Mullin to feature his new museum in Oxnard, California. Mullin plans to leave most of the cars in unrestored condition. Most other cars of the Malmerspach collection have been sold one by one.
The following photos show 10 of the 62 Malmerspach reserve cars after the sale in 2008:
Back in the 1960s Alsatian textile tycoon Fritz Schlumpf and his brother Hans collected historic cars. During times when most people didn't appreciate this kind of cars, they ammassed some 580 classical cars, almost exclusively of European brands. Their favorites were the legendary cars of Ettore Bugatti, who's factory was located in the nearby town of Molsheim. The Schlumpf's bought everything carrying the name Bugatti, including the 30 car collection of US business man John W. Shakespeare (1963) and the remainders of the bancrupt Bugatti factories (1963). Finally their collection included 151 Bugatti cars, including one offs, prototypes and two of the six ever made legendary Bugatti T41 Royale. These 151 cars represented almost 2 % of Bugatti's overall production figures!
Many of the Schlumpf's cars were secretly restored in own workshops in the years to follow and placed in a converted former textile mill in the Alsatian city of Mulhouse.
In the middle of the 1970s the textile industry in Europe went down and so did the Schlumpf businesses. When Schlumpf closed factories and set free thousands of workers, the workers went on strike and the Schlumpf brothers fled to Switzerland, shortly before the planned opening of their museum. In early 1977 the secret museum was discovered and occupied by workers and opened as "worker's museum" for the next two years. 
In France the Schlumpfs were accused of having misused their businesses to finance their collector's passion. The french state designated the collection a national monument to protect it and sold it to the "National Automobile Museum Association", a consortium which was supposed to operate it as a national car museum. The sales price, which was much lower than the collection's value at that time, was used to cover the depts of the Schlumpf businesses. For details on the Schlumpf collection and it's history, visit this wikipedia article or the backgrounds on the museum's website.
Many of the restored Schlumpf cars still can be seen in the Cite de l'Automobile - Collection Schlumpf in Mulhouse, France. The above photos show some impressions from the museum's main exhibition hall in 1997 before the remodeling of the museum.
Less well known is the fact that a large portion of the collection remained in two reserve collections of unrestored cars...

The Mulhouse reserve
One reserve is located with the Mulhouse museum. Besides some restored cars, currently not on display, it contains a variety of rare and valuable unrestored cars and chassis as well as many spare parts. As most of these cars are under protection as national monument, the museum cannot sell them. A restoration is only possible for one or two cars per year, due to limited means. Unfortunately the Mulhouse museum foregoes the opportunity to publicly display the reserve cars in their current condition. This sure would be another (relatively effortless) attraction, appreciated by many visitors.

 
Bugattis in the dozen: among many others eleven Bugatti Chassis and three complete Bugattis are visible on this single photo from the Mulhouse reserve!!! E.g. the chassis in the left foreground is a Bugatti Type 57 (#57464) and the grey limousine in the very back is a Bugatti Type 46 (#46549/46552). Most of these cars and chassis never have been on display in the museum.
(photo courtesy of Uli Sonntag / Autobild)
Tired but proud: eight cylinder Bugatti Type 44 tourer (#44664, in the foreground), six cylinder Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 (in the background) and four cylinder Maserati 4C racer (on the right hand) meet in the Mulhouse reserve to compare their exposed engine compartments.
(photo courtesy of Uli Sonntag / Autobild)
1919 Laurin Klement Fire Truck
(photo courtesy of Prague Classic Car Center)















1923 Delage CO2 Fire Truck
(photo courtesy of Prague Classic Car Center)













1923 Ford Model T Tudor Sedan
(photo courtesy of Prague Classic Car Center)















1930-33 Steyr 30
Type 45 Taxameter
(photo courtesy of Prague Classic Car Center)














1937 Cord 812
Westchester Sedan and another 1930-33 Steyr 30 Type 45 Taxameter in the background
(photo courtesy of Prague Classic Car Center)













1937 Cord 812 S/C
Beverly Sedan
(photo courtesy of Prague Classic Car Center)
















1937 Bugatti Type 57
Stelvio #57507
(photo courtesy of Prague Classic Car Center)

















1939-41 Fiat 2800
(photo courtesy of Hélène Bleger)
















1948 Delage D6
(photo courtesy of Prague Classic Car Center)
For more photos from the Malmerspach reserve see these links:
www.extraordinarycarcollections.com
www.prewarcar.com (1)
www.prewarcar.com (2)
www.bugattirevue.com
www.prewarcar.com
www.forum-auto.com

PS: Please don't hesitate to send me an email if you happen to know any other photo from one the two Schlumpf reserve collections: mbwestwood@hotmail.com
Thank you !
... the famous Schlumpf collection -
two reserves of unrestored cars
The Fate of the Sleeping Beauties
Free Counter
Free Counter